Friday, March 4, 2011

If it makes you happy...

A read through googlenews yesterday included the following earth shattering story:

A look at a collection of studies on happiness and health finds that happiness does lead to a healthier person and to greater chances of a longer life.  
http://www.suite101.com/content/dont-worry-be-happy---and-youll-live-longer-new-study-says-a355424
 
I really don't think that is news to any of us.  But, I know I certainly am guilty of letting a day pass by too stressed out, too grumpy, too busy to truly enjoy its awesomeness.  Because every day, is truly a gift and can be so amazing, if you let it.  

To start destressing down here in sunny California I started making myself smile or laugh for no reason at all while out on rides by myself.  Smiling just makes you feel good, no matter what is going on in your head.  Eventually I didn't have to try any more.  

I've been playing around on my mountain bike a lot in the last few days, mostly hopping curbs as fast as I can, finding little drops in parking lots and doing them over and over, faster and faster.  It makes me feel like I'm 10 years old - and no wonder kids are so happy.  Playing is fun.  I don't know why as adults we stop doing it.  Even my hobbies - riding my bike, skiing often become far too serious endeavours.  My quest to be good at them often gets in the way of the fun.  So, it's been pretty amazing to just enjoy my bike for the fun toy that it is.  


all smiles and enjoying playing on my bicycle during an awesome session near Santa Barbara with P. Glassford

1 comment: