Saturday, March 12, 2011

Everyone comes to Aspen to be saved or something. It’s just a place.

I’m not sure that I came to California to be saved, it was more to escape.  But, in the 21 days I spent in Oxnard riding my bicycle daily in the mountains, on the coast or over curbs in the parking lot I found salvation.  My life became so simple that details no longer were so important.

I started to just eat food.  Good quality, well prepared food in quantities that I felt like eating – no measuring.  I went to bed at whatever time I couldn’t keep my eyes open, or just because it felt like it was time to lay down.  No pressure.  And sleep would come as quickly as I wanted it to.  I started every morning with a good cup of coffee, some conversation and got to know a few great people.

And yesterday, was a beautiful ride through the mountains.  No music, no camera to distract me from just enjoying the day.  It was probably around 20 degrees, it was very sunny.  I climbed up Sulpher Mountain towards Ojai.  There were views of the ocean when the road turned in that direction and there were views of endless mountains.  There were mansions tucked away at the edge of cliffs enjoying the view.  I’m sorry I didn't take any pictures to entice you.  You’ll just have to go there yourself.  It will be worth it.  As I said, no distractions.  I find taking pictures sometimes takes you out of that moment of truly enjoying what you are doing and turns it into an event of finding the perfect vista to capture.  Which is okay sometimes.

I took only 2 water bottles even though I knew it would be 3 hours before finding a place for water.  But, I didn’t dehydrate and I found a place sooner than anticipated.  I won't talk about the quantity of food in my pocket.  It was more than I needed.  Baby steps, though. I scribbled down some directions and got some route explanations, but I didn’t worry too much about it and I didn’t get lost. 

So what was my salvation?  It wasn’t the vistas – although you can’t help but lose yourself in their beauty.  It was the realization that all the details that I worry about in my quest to do things perfectly usually cause things to end up spoiled.  So, if I take anything away from California, it is to live a little more simply and eat because I am hungry.





2 comments:

  1. Good for you Tammy, now just stick with it when you return to the land of polar bears and igloos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!!! Totally captured my trip too :)

    ReplyDelete