Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm not lucky

I haven't bought new clothes in over a year and a half and the last new item was a suit for interviews.  My husband calls me cheap.  I prefer the term frugal.  The difference?  cheap implies skimping out on things that would make your life better; to me frugal means living within your means and saving for things that matter.

I must have heard a dozen times before coming down to California about how lucky I am to be able to take a month off and go on vacation.  Luck, I would say has nothing to do with it.  We all make choices.  I choose not to buy clothes, or other toys but instead to have adventures.  Last year it was TransRockies - a 7 day race from Fernie, BC to Canmore, AB.  Long before that it was kayak trips in Mexico, backpacking through Central America and mountaineering in Alaska.


I'm not saying that adventures are better than clothes, or electronics, or cars, or whatever.  But, I think that it's important to choose what will make your life more full.  For me, it's about experiences.  I would call it Good Livin', but then I'd have to pay a royalty to this guy; and that I'm too cheap for.
enjoying a chai tea and some sunshine in Ventura, CA with my wonderful husband

No comments:

Post a Comment