Sunday, September 25, 2011

I don't really hate my husband - Fall Epic 8 Hour

I love my husband.  But, there were several hours yesterday where love turned to hatred.  Usually, I am the one pushing him to do races.  I even convinced him that TransRockies would be a better honeymoon than a few weeks in France riding bicycles and drinking good wine.

So, yesterday was his day.  He proposed we ride the 8 hour tag, which I went along with.  It wasn't until the day before that I realized my longest ride this summer has been more in the 2 hour range.  He also decided that instead of the classic he goes, I go, he goes, etc., that he would bust out a fast first lap and then pass off to me to ride 3-4 hours and then he would finish the day.  Not the fastest way to complete an 8 hour, but less painful than the alternative stop/start.

As my hours on the bike wore on and grumpiness settled in, I grumbled something about there being a 'tag' in tag-team as I went by the AWI tent.  But, Jeremy was there each lap to offer some yelling and encouragement that kept me riding my fastest.  And, while I proclaimed my hatred of him for 'making me do this' while out on my last lap, it is not true.  Jeremy is an amazing husband, who I love very much.  I am glad he pushed me to do this race, as I impressed myself by pulling off pretty consistent lap times and after his encouragement was even able to make my last one, one of the fastest.

After my laps were over, I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon recovering, eating and socializing.  Jeremy moved us up in the standings from 8th to 6th place, blowing himself up pretty good in the process.  And, I would do the race again, glady.  But, don't tell him that.  For once, Jeremy deserved a day where I go along with his ideas ;)


no pics from the 8 hour, but the above are a somewhat comical sequence of Jeremy rescuing me and my bike from a fairly deep and fast moving river during last year's TransRockies.

No comments:

Post a Comment